Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Tecsun PL-660

On June 6th I purchased my latest radio. The Tecsun PL-660. I was interested in this radio because of reviews I have read and the sync detector as well as the air band. I feel I can safely say of the seven radio's I own, this is the worst of the bunch. I am not sure if I got a bad one. I do know that there is a way on the newer firmware to adjust the offset tuning. I am unable to do this on mine so I do have older firmware even though I purchased it recently. The tuning is off by 1-2 Hz, the radio is extremely noisy and not very sensitive. The sync detector creates a lot of noise when locking. The detector on my Sony 7600 is much better. Sony has a great sync circuit. Luckily this was the last Tecsun I purchased. If not, I may not have gotten the 606, a good radio and the 880, a fantastic radio. I am extremely disappointed with the 660.




So what is next on the wish list - C. Crane CCRadio-2E. It is one of the highest rated AM DX radios by Jay Allen. I have the Holy Grail of AM radios already, the Panasonic RF-2200 but am looking for something with a digital readout. As a bonus this radio has the 2 Meter Ham Band and Weather Station with alerts. Right now it is $169.99 at Amazon. I prefer to buy from C Crane when I get one of their radios but it will come down to the price being close. This is on my Christmas wish list and Santa always comes through with a new radio for the winter DX season.





No comments: