Monday, January 21, 2019

Sangean HDR-18 HD Radio

Santa came through again this year with a Sangean HDR-18 HD Radio. I am a big fan of Sangean products as they are well built and excellent performers. Jay Allen gave this 3 1/2 stars in AM Portables Mega Shootout and 4 stars in his FM Portables Mega Shootout. This radio an AM, FM, HD and AES system.

This is my first HD radio and I am enjoying it very much. In the Shenandoah Valley there are limited HD choices. Below are the stations I have been able to log on FM and AM HD.
WMQR 96.1-1 FM-HD
WMQR 96.1-2 FM-HD
WMRQ 96.1-2 FM-HD
WQPO 100.7-1 FM-HD
WQPO 100.7-2 FM-HD
WQPO 100.7-3 FM-HD
WUSQ 102.5-1 FM-HD
WUSQ 102.5-2 FM-HD
WUSQ 102.5-2 FM-HD
WCBS 880 AM-HD
KMXO 1120 AM-HD
WHPT 1210 AM-HD

AM and FM performance is very good. I was able to get WHO from Des Moines IA with a very strong signal and this is not a normal catch for me. I would like to get a Sangean HDR-16 for some mobile dxing. I have logged most of the AM and FM stations I can with ease in my area and with SW fading into the sun set I am excited about HD dxing. It feels like I am getting in on the ground floor of the next step in my radio hobby. Another plus is the digital display that makes it simple to identify the station logged.






At this time I am looking into getting an FM-HD antenna sold at Amazon. See the photo below. It is an FM-HD as well as HD-TV antenna. The antenna is supposed to have a 150 mile range.

No comments: