Monday, March 11, 2019

Revisiting The Tecsun PL-660

In June of 2018 I purchased the Tecsun PL-660. I must admit I spend very little time with this radio. It seemed noisy and cheaply made compared to my PL-880. I have been using this radio for the past few days after I received a new desk for my listening post. I've come to really like this radio.

It takes a little bit of tweaking at times to get a station that is not to high on the treble side. The sync works good most times with the occasion when there is a lot of whistling. There are only two bandwidth settings but they seem to be spaced fairly well. The PL-880 and all of my other Tecsun radios have 5 bandwidth setting. One thing I am looking at right now while I am typing this is battery consumption. I put in a set of charged batteries last night and only listened for about an hour. I have had it fired up for another hour this morning and the battery is flashing low. The ATS works well though inferior to my 880. The 880 tends to find listenable stations while the 660 will add static only stations into memory. The 880 is significantly faster doing a scan. 4 minutes and 30 seconds for the 660 compared to 2 minutes and 55 seconds for the 880.

Update to battery usage: I have had the batteries in five days listening for 1-3 hours every night and the indicator is still reading full. It is possible I have a bad battery in the other batch.

Update II: The batteries have been in the radio for three weeks getting daily use and are just now showing less than full.




No comments: