Sunday, July 19, 2020

Sangean ATS-909X - Revisited - A Weekend of DXing

I enjoyed some Shortwave radio time with the Sangean this past weekend as my wife was out of town so it was just me and my two trusty beagles. I started listening close to 0000 UTC as it has been extremely hot and humid in the Shenandoah Valley all month with temps constantly in the 90s. I do the majority of my DXing sitting on the deck enjoying a cold beverage while having easy access to my 75' outdoor antenna. The antenna has been shortened up to 60' due to the removal of 5 trees in my back yard. It is one of the old Radio Shack kits that comes with a 75' wire, rope, two insulators and a feed wired. I use alligator clips on both ends of my feed to connect to the long wire and whip antenna.

Most listening is done in the Spring, Summer and Fall due to the info above. I read about a lot of people doing a lot of their DXing in the winter due to good propagation conditions and the inability to get outside for other activities.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the band conditions in my area this year, much better then the past couple of years. This weekend I was able to log Shortwave stations on two new frequencies, a couple of hams, two pirates and probably the best catch of the weekend, WQFG689 on 1711 kHz. Per info found on Wiki they broadcast on 1710 kHz but I was getting very low signal there. On 1711 kHz I was pulling them in pretty strong while fading in and out. Also, I was pulling the signal off the long wire. I unhooked the antenna and the signal disappeared. This is traveler information station from Hudson County NJ. That is around 270 miles straight line to my house. I found this info on the internet.  FCC granted a waiver to operate five 10-watt transmitters on 1710 kHz, in Secaucus, West Bergen, Kearny, Lincroft, and Jersey City.  I consider it a very impressive catch. The Sangean continues to impress me in the lower frequency ranges.


No comments: